Accounting with QuickBooks for Home Builders and Remodelers
QuickBooks for residential construction –
A step-by-step guide at your fingertips
Use this book to lead your construction business effectively and profitably by maximizing the power of QuickBooks, the world's leading small-business accounting package.
QuickBooks' reasonable price, multi-functionality, job-costing features, and two-billion transaction capability make it ideal for the small- to medium-sized residential builder, remodeler, contractor, or developer. If, however, you're unguided or self-taught, you're likely not getting the most from your system and may be generating inaccurate or undesirable results.
And if you're frustrated trying to use the program? Well, that's natural. This book helps construction-industry beginners, mid-level, and advanced users of QuickBooks avoid problems and irritation by guiding them, step-by-step, to success. It helps anyone who wants to implement a comprehensive, on-site accounting system to apply logical QuickBooks techniques.
Written with insights developed from Info Plus' dedicated work in the construction industry, it covers essentials such as:
- Accounting and reporting concepts (basic and advanced)
- Construction-specific accounting techniques
- Systems, lists, and features designed for the home building industry
- Procedures for proofing, balancing, and completing month-end closures
- How to create reports acceptable to bankers and useful to tax advisors
- How to create detailed job cost and variance reports designed for internal control and decision-making
Accounting with QuickBooks For Builders and Remodelers was written by Diane C.O. Gilson, a registered CPA and construction industry accounting systems consultant. With more than 25 years of audit, tax, and management accounting experience, Diane has focused on QuickBooks since 1994 and is a Certified QuickBooks Advanced ProAdvisor. Diane has spent thousands of hours training and problem-solving for hundreds of building industry clients.
Detailed answers when you need them...
Accounting with QuickBooks guides you keystroke-by-keystroke through the following types of questions:
- What is a control loop and why is it critical to my company?
- What's the difference between accrual and cash-basis accounting? Which is best for my company?
- Which financial reports should I review and how often? How do I make them easy-to-understand?
- What accounts should I include in my Chart of Accounts? When should I use which accounts?
- What kinds of job cost reports can I obtain? How do I track costs by job stage?
- What is the best way to track estimated vs. actual costs?
- Is there an easy way to determine profitability for multiple lines of work?
- How do I track 1099 vendor information and create 1099s?
- How do I do payroll in QuickBooks?
- What is the function of Company File Preferences in QuickBooks?
- What is the most effective way to use the estimates feature?
- How can I use the QuickBooks Purchase Orders feature to add accuracy to my reports?
- When might I want to use QuickBooks Accounts Payable system?
- How do I create fixed-price (contract-based) invoices? Percentage-of-completion invoices? Time and materials invoices?
- 153 charts, reports and screen shots illustrating features, critical decision-points, and processes
- Step-by-step instructions for entering transactions
- More than 150 highlighted TIPS and NOTES
- Addendum of the most beneficial enhancements recently implemented in QuickBooks products
- 3 extensive Appendices illustrating a residential construction Chart of Accounts, an extensive job-stage based Item List, and month-end proofing, balancing, and closing procedures
We make your life even easier...
Eager to implement the approach and techniques detailed in Accounting with QuickBooks For Builders and Remodelers? Please review our related product, AccountingPRO™. This time-saving, pre-built QuickBooks data file is fully modeled on the concepts and techniques presented in the book.
Note: Accounting with QuickBooks For Builders and Remodelers is included (free of charge) to purchasers of AccountingPRO™.
Book provided and transmitted in pdf format. $27
QuickBooks® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.